Spring has finally sprung this week and it’s time to dust off your gardening gloves and tackle those essential spring gardening tasks. While nature is more than capable of producing a flourishing garden, giving it a helping hand will ensure you enjoy a lush garden throughout the summer and well into autumn. Spring is also the most enjoyable time to be out in the garden. The days are warmer, the light lasts longer and you can witness your garden coming to life.
Here are some essential spring gardening tasks to get you started and if you need to stock up on gardening tools, soil, potting mix or even a new lawn mower, Ison & Co has you covered.
5 Essential Spring Gardening Tasks
- Fertilise – As the soil starts to warm, all your plants will benefit from fertiliser. Choose the right plant food for each group of plant. Isons stocks all types of fertiliser including the highly recommended Amgrow Ecosmart Fertilisers in Native, Citrus & Fruit, Flower & Fruit, Rose or Gardenia, Azalea & Camellia and many more.
- Look After Your Lawn – Winter can be tough on your lawn so now is the time to give it a little bit of TLC. Start by applying a weed killer and then a fertiliser a few weeks later. If you have bare patches, you can lay down some seed. Regular watering will keep your lawn looking lush. Pick up a bag of the popular Yates Weed ‘n’ Feed from Isons to control weeds and fertilise your lawn.
- Control Pests – As the weather gets warmer, pest problems tend to get bigger. Aphids, psyllids, caterpillars, snails and slugs are all more active so use an appropriate insecticide to keep your veggies and flowers pest free. Try Richgro Beat-A-Bug Insect Spray to repel a wide variety of garden pests. This naturally based spray also gives your plants a boost of nutrients.
- Plant – Whether you are planning a herb garden or a veggie garden, spring is the best time to plant pretty much anything! Hexies raised garden beds, made from BlueScope steel, are easy to assemble and make an attractive addition to almost any home. Perfect for flowers, herbs and veggies.
- Prune – Trim hibiscus and any other plants that flowered over the winter. Cut back your hedges, remove withered leaves and top up layers of mulch.
Garden Tools & Equipment At Isons
Every homeowner needs a basic set of gardening tools. If it’s your first year out in the garden or your garden equipment needs an upgrade, head down to Ison & Co for some great deals. Some basic gardening tools to get you started include:
- Gardening Gloves
- Flexible Tubs
- Pruning saw
- Rake and Fork
- Shovel and Spade
- Lawn Mower